Thursday, September 11, 2014

The great flood of 2014

The I-10 (abc15.com)
Local Golf Course (abc15.com)
Since Friday last week, Arizona was expected to get rain ALL weekend long. Saturday and Sunday came and gone with NO rain! I was pretty bummed..but I saw it was 100% on Monday to rain...YAY!
 
2 am Monday morning, I was awoken with loud thunder and rain...it didnt stop for hours. James woke up at 4 and decided to leave by 445 to get to work on time because it looked like it was getting way bad out there. When he got to work at 530, he texted me and told me not to go anywhere yet..my car will float away. So I started to get ready and called my mom to see how her side of the valley was doing. She made it to work but said it was pretty bad. So I said I was gonna wait it out and wait for Emma to wake up. I could see the grass banks overflowing with water. I was watching the news and the next thing I knew, both routes to work were closed down. They shut the I-10 down for hours (see top picture) and the main road I take everyday was closed down. I texted my boss, I was staying put. The development is building right next door to us and they were attempting to bring the trucks in..didnt go so well. I was staying for sure now. Emma and I opened the front door and watched as the water rolled by. We have 3 stairs in front of our door, so the water never made it. Thank goodness. The rain started to let up, but it was a hot hot mess out there. Emma and I got to spend the day together which was nice..although its the worst when you cant go anywhere and all we wanted to do was leave hah. A few parts of the valley are still affected by the water, our area has mostly dried up now :) lots of mud piles everywhere!  
 
It was a record breaking day for rain and water here in the AZ!! I was so glad I was able to stay safe with Emma :)









 

Leave a Comment: